Hosted by Exapno [exapno.org]
Directed by Cory Bracken
The objective is simple.
The general formula is performance, lecture, and discussion, with an emphasis on discussion. With this in mind, it is not just a concert or a lecture, but entirely a presentation with an exchange of ideas in the true sense of a forum. We’re aiming to create a warm, welcoming environment for musicians and non-musicians alike that is engaging but not intellectually threatening. Performers Forum intends to embrace a variety of musical forms, not just “experimental”, “new”, “contemporary” or “avant-garde”. Presentations can be informative in a variety of ways – anecdotal, humorous, deeply personal, inherently non-musical – whatever perspectives are essential.
Artists are welcome to present on anything they think is interesting. Works in progress are especially encouraged. What are you currently developing musically? What are you experimenting with, what direction would you like to pursue, and why? Questions like that are exciting for us.
Performers Forum was established in August of 2011 with no intention of ever not existing forevermore. Visit our PAST EVENTS page to find out more about our history of presenters.
Performers Forum will provide an inviting, engaging, and non-threatening environment for performers, composers, and music makers of any kind to present any musical works of any stylistic idiom in any stage of development. Participants are welcomed and encouraged to discuss their work to any length, while the audience is welcomed and encouraged to engage the performers in discussion with questions, feedback, or creative and constructive criticism. And if performers want to pose questions to the audience, well, that’s cool too.
Essentially, anything goes… so far as it’s productive and respectful.
Performers Forum intends to…
- Foster a stronger community of musicians (particularly those who are detached from a conservatory or institution).
- Create opportunities for composers and performers to present and discuss their work in an informal performance setting.
- Encourage the presentation of works-in-progess, so composers and performers can workshop ideas and receive constructive feedback in the creative process.
- Promote a stronger relationship between composers and performers; composers can meet and exchange information with performers, in addition to seeing and hearing them in a performance context.
- Expose new musical ideas to new ears, allowing musicians from a variety of idioms to engage in a cross-disciplinary dialogue in an effort to cultivate a homogeneous exchange of ideas within the oftentimes-heterogeneous music community.
Performers Forum will be hosted on a monthly basis at Exapno, located at: 33 Flatbush Ave, 5th floor, Brooklyn, NY 11217
Requests to participate and general questions/concerns can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A democratic process will be essential to the forum; suggestions and/or ideas for programming are encouraged.